If you are reading this post chances are you are seeking answers to the things you are observing in yourself and humanity as a whole. Let me try to reassure you, you are not crazy, the world you live in is undergoing massive changes that are observable on many different levels. Do not mistake what you are going through as a depression, a break from reality, or a mid life crisis. I am not a doctor, so if you are feeling like you are in danger of hurting yourself or others, please call 911 or Access Care. Otherwise, stay with me.
A spiritual awakening is punctuated by many different seeming disparate aspects of a person’s existence. On first blush, it might not appear that all of these once concrete structures and perceptions are related to the steaming pile of confusion and chaos that our lives feel like. What made sense and gave us comfort in the past, is now leaving us feeling empty? What the heck is going on?
Think about what it feels like when you are suddenly awoken from a deep and involved dream state. It can take a bit of time to get our bearings before attempting the usual day to day tasks. What I am suggesting is, not only is your world, changing, but you are too! It’s ALL changing. A total and complete make over from atoms to atmosphere, cellular structure to the fabric of reality. It’s all changing.
When we awaken, it is common to want to learn about what we are experiencing. One may notice an interest in an area that they wouldn’t have given a second glance before. Questions arising in a previously solid faith in: religious beliefs and affiliations, family dynamics, world views, politics, charity, environment, children, health, fitness, friendships, sexuality, social behaviors, life-style choices, finances are all likely to seem open to a new interpretation. Past behaviors and actions may also come up to be reconciled and addressed.
Don’t panic, what you are experiencing is a natural evolution of your soul.
There are things you can do to make it easier on yourself. All suggestions are meant to offer supportive practice that enhance connection between the mind, body and soul self.
1) Go easy on yourself. You will likely feel overwhelmed with strong urges to rest and recover. Do your best to honor these needs in your life. Most people have little time for RR in their hectic schedules. Carve out time to take 5 to 10 minutes to get horizontal and decompress.
2) Meditation – allow yourself time to get quiet – just a few dedicated minutes a day are great. Let your awareness focus on your breathing as if the breath was entering and leaving your heart/chest space. Let thoughts take a back seat to your inner world – your inner knowing. Go easy on yourself when thoughts come. Just gently say “off with you thought” and notice what happens. Taking notes in a journal can be a great way to chart your progression through this expansive experience.
3) Get out in Nature. Feel the outdoors on your skin. Find a way to get outside.
4) Diet changes. You might notice a desire to change your diet. Eating lighter, more easy to digest foods are a hallmark of this shift.
5) Enjoy and allow laughing to happen! This is meant to be FUN!